NEWLY ELECTED LEADERS ORIENTATION
The Newly Elected Leaders Orientation (NELO) is a biannual event sponsored by the League of Cities and Towns, the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership at Bryant University, and the Rhode Island Association of School Committees.
2021 NELO Materials
2021 Presentation on Open Meetings Act (PDF)
2019 NELO Information
On January 4 and 5, 2019, nearly 150 new and current public leaders from cities and towns across Rhode Island gather for a two-day conference at Bryant University, where they learned essential skills, exchanged ideas with peers, and explored the unique challenges and rewards of public service. This conference was offered through a partnership of the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership, the Rhode Island League of Cities and Towns, and the Rhode Island Association of School Committees.
Workshop topics included ethics, conflict of interest, financial oversight, fiduciary responsibility, trade-offs, tough decisions, roles and responsibilities, knowing the players, collective bargaining, open meetings, and public conversations.
You may download a variety of materials from the conference:
- Conference Agenda (PDF)
- Presentation on Ethics and Conflict of Interest (PDF)
- Presentation on Financial Oversight (PDF)
- Case Study: One Town, One Budget – How Mansfield, Massachusetts Managed School Funding During a Time of Economic Crisis (PDF)
- Presentation on Open Meetings Act (PDF)
- Presentation on Collective Bargaining (PDF)